Planning AheadWhile planning for a major flood due to a storm or river overflow is difficult, you can take some small precautions to ensure your home is protected against small to mild rain and flooding conditions:
- Keep your rain gutters and downspouts clear of leaves and debris.
- Ensure your downspouts direct water away from your basement or foundation.
- Be certain the ground slopes away from your home.
- Watch for small leaks in your roof, windows, doors and foundation and fix them promptly.
- In winter, remove snow from your roof and avoid ice and snow buildup around drains.
- Verify that your sump pumps are working properly and come on automatically.
- Consider installing a standby power generator for your sump pump.