Warning Signs of a Failing HVAC SystemHVAC systems provide your home’s heating and air condition, keeping you comfortable year-round. When your HVAC system fails, it can leave you and family members uncomfortable, especially during the bitter winter or hot summer months.The warning signs of a failing HVAC system include:Unusual smells. HVAC systems can produce a variety of different smells that indicate there’s a problem. Some smells aren’t because your system is failing but because it needs maintenance. A rotten smell, for example, is often because a small, wild animal became trapped in your air ducts and died.Harmful smells include:
- Exhaust — triggered by leaking engine fluids.
- Burning — caused by AC fan or compressor.
- Gunpowder — produced by the circuit board or fan motor.
- Sewage — created by sewage backup or a ruptured sewer line.
- Rotten eggs — caused by an air duct.